The F-22 is leading U.S. Air Force transformation efforts. Its ability to penetrate anti-access airspace, while finding, tracking and targeting enemy air and ground-based threats will ensure freedom to maneuver and freedom from attack for all joint forces.
The Raptor’s unique combination of advanced stealth, supercruise, advanced maneuverability and integrated avionics will allow it to “kick down the door,” and then follow up with 24-hour stealth operations and freedom of movement for all follow-on forces – fully leveraging the Raptor’s technological advantages.
Two F119 engines, the world’s most advanced combat aircraft engines, power the F-22. These engines, with their unique thrust-vectoring nozzle and integrated stealth characteristics, give the F-22 the capability to supercruise, or achieve Mach 1.5+ speeds, without the use of afterburners.
The F-22’s all-aspect stealth and high speed/high altitude capability gives U.S. forces and allies an advantage that will endure well into the future. By incorporating revolutionary advances in technology, the F-22 is ready to dominate any and all adversaries from the outset of any conflict. This capability provides a critical edge to joint force commanders and acts as an effective deterrent to future adversaries.
The F-22 is an entirely new way of thinking about fighter capabilities. This 5th generation fighter represents a leap in warfighting capabilities for the U.S. Air Force and coalition forces.
- Advanced stealth – enables 24/7 operations while remaining virtually undetected by enemy forces
- Supercruise speeds greater than Mach 1.5 without afterburners – enhance survivability/lethality
- Extreme fighter agility – allows outmaneuvering through acceleration and razor-sharp turns
- Information fusion – generates 360-degree battlespace awareness for pilot
- Joint force enabler – assures future air dominance for joint and coalition forces